Home Page
Registration
Edit profile

catalogue
auction
shopping cart
shipping

history
makers

search
faq
news
links
about
contact
Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland
Clubmakers
J H Turner
Sandhurst/Frilford Heath
John Henry Turner, born in Oxford in 1889, started as an assistant to Arthur Reid at Thonock before becoming professional at the Royal Military College, Camberley (now Sandhurst). He was the first pro at High Wycombe and Bourne End Golf Club in 1904, a 9-hole course laid out by J G Sherlock. Turner extended the course to 18 holes ready for play in 1907.

In that same year, cups were presented to the club on the condition that its name be changed to Flackwell Heath and it was with that affiliation he played a home and away challenge against Fred Robson in 1909.

He served as professional to the Denham club in Buckinghamshire before becoming professional to the Frilford Heath club in March 1914 where he remained until at least the 1930s (e.g. playing in the West of England Professional Championship of 1930). The club gave him a testimonial in 1939.

During his time at Frilford Heath he set up the clubmaking firm of Sherlock, Ray and Turner with J G Sherlock and Ted Ray.

Catalogue Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker