R J Shoesmith
Richard John Shoesmith was one of four brothers employed as golf professionals. Born in East Ashford in 1884 the family moved to Bromley soon afterwards and he later served his apprenticeship at the local club, being listed as a club and ballmaker on the 1901 census. He moved at some point to Neasden and played in the PGA Southern qualifier at Watford in July 1908 from there, presumably as an assistant to John Milne.
The next year he became professional at the Rudyard Lake club in Staffordshire and soon took his young brother Harry there as his assistant. Golf was still fairly new in North Staffordshire and he played in the first PGA competition for the area in 1909. There were 11 entrants but two scatched. He finished second.
He was appointed professional to the Timperley club in Cheshire in May 1914 and remained until the club was sold in 1934. The buyer was the local council and it became the Altrincham Municipal Club retaining Shoesmith as the professional until 1938.
Richard Shoesmith died in Timperley on 11 February 1943.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2024 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland