L J McRae
Leonard James McRae was the younger brother of Bertie, born in Beddington, Surrey, on 11 February 1887. Bertie was described as a clubmaker and Leonard a caddy on the 1901 census for Beddington (so at the Prince’s Club, Mitcham), living with their parents, Oliver, a leather dresser, and his wife, Jane née Pitcher, at 1 Golden Terrace.
On the 1911 census they were at Flackwell Heath, Leonard staying with his brother and his assistant and clubmaker at the Flackwell Heath club. He later obtained a bedroom to let for 15/- a week from a Mrs Hughes at Inglebury, Flackwell Heath.
Early in the war he enlisted with the Niblick Brigade though was later with the Royal Fusiliers and the Labour Corps.
He may have returned to Flackwell Heath after the war and a newspaper item from the 1930s identifies he was at West Park, Sussex, a long-gone course in Handcross. He was certainly there as professional in 1930 so probably took over after the departure of F Packham in 1928.
In June 1932 he accepted a position with the Chesham and Ley Hill GC in Buckinghamshire.
He died in Surrey in 1977 and is buried in Fern Lane Cemetery in Little Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2021 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland