Douglas Pryde Given was the second of two professional golfers named Given from Earlsferry who earned their living at Ayrshire clubs at the start of the 20th century (see also David Given. Born on 2 February 1883, a second son for David, a postman, and Jane, he was living at home with them and three siblings at the time of the 1901 cenus, aged 18 and earning a living as a clubmaker. Research on the Earlsferry clubmakers by Graham Johnston has identified that Douglas was the younger brother of David (the parents had moved house and David snr had changed jobs between the birth of the sons which makes this less obvious.)
A prominent amateur in the Earlsferry Thistle club he was appointed as Kilmarnock Barassie’s first professional in 1904. The two brothers played a match over Irvine’s Bogside course in 1907 against two Troon players.
Jackson’s Register has him as professional there until the First World War but that cannot be the case as he appears on the 1911 census as a clubmaker at Sunningdale, lodging with the greenkeeper George Rivers and wife, Annie. He himself married there the following year.
He died in Sunningdale in 1931.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2024 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland