Frederick Newton, born Warwick, 1891, was an assistant (the club termed it second greenkeeper) at what was the Warwickshire Golf Club in 1910 (it changed its name to the Warwickshire County Golf Club at a special meeting in 1912).
Later in 1910, the professional J F Blundal left for South Wiltshire, and Newton took his place. The club had prepared him by sending him for a few weeks of apprenticeship with James Braid at Walton Heath to acquire a knowledge of play and clubmaking. The Leamington Spa Courier pronounced him showing ‘much promise of being a successful player and coach’.
The 1911 census shows him living with his widowed mother and siblings at 46 Woodhouse Road, Warwick.
He served with the Royal Field Artillery in the First World War and Mrs Newton was informed her youngest son, Gunner Frederick Newton, was killed in action on 28 March 1918. He is commemorated on the Pozičres memorial in the Somme.
The club did not survive the war either. A new club, the Warwick Golf Club was formed and bough the the clubhouse and other assets of the old club, The town’s artisan club (the Warwick Borough Club) essentially merged with this and was itself would up in 1919. After the war the professional at Warwick was G Newton who may have been his brother, George, his elder by one year.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2017 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland