Henry Burrows was an English professional from Sunninghill in Berkshire, born there in 1891 and starting there as a caddy and assistant, who spent most of his career in Benelux.
He laid out the original nine holes at the Hilversum Golf Club in 1910 but did not remain there as professional instead taking up a post at the Doornsche club. After his first trial period his contract was extended and a request came from the Hilversum club for him to act as a weekend instructor to its members.
The pattern of ‘borrowing him’ continued. The Domburg club requested him as their simmer professional in 1916 and, in the same year, the Hilversum club, acquiring new land at Kievietsdal, asked him to lay out their new 9-hole course.
During his time at Doornsche he married Cato van Essen, the sister of one of his groundsmen. After he redesigned the Hilversum course, Bertus, his brother-in-law, remained as the club’s professional. Burrows left Doornsche in 1919 and went to Belgium, first to Royal Antwerp and then St André sur Mer between 1922 and 1927.
He won the Dutch Open in 1920, 1921 and 1923.
In 1927 he returned to the Netherlands as professional to the newly established Oostvorne GC. The Oostvorne club failed, largely due to the financial markets collapse in 1929, and Burrows was back in Belgium as Head Greenkeeper at the Waterloo club.
He was involved in the construction of the GC Grand-Ducal in Luxembourg in 1935 and moved there that same year to become the club’s first professional.
In 1939 he returned to England before the outbreak of WWII and became the professional at Reading. In 1951 he joined Sutton & Sons Ltd of Reading the leading golf course seedsmen.
Burrows died in Reading on 25 October 1957.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2023 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland