J C Smith & Son
James Clark Smith started this business in 1870 although making clubs had started as a spare time activity for him, his real job being in the local foundry. Entirely self-taught, the local paper looking back at his life pointed out that there were not enough golfers in Monifieth to support a clubmaker. There were two clubs, Panmure and Monifieth, the latter’s membership being drawn entirely from the workforce of John F Low & Co where Smith worked, neither of which had a membership above 50. The Advertiser club, then the Broughty, followed and as the number of players grew so did Smith’s business.
His reputation as a clubmaker spread and the local connection with jute ensured a healthy export trade to Calcutta.
His son, R D Smith, assumed into the partnership in 1897, took over the running of the business sometime in the late 1890s and, as the 1899 advertisement shows, it became a full golf retailing operation.
The firm was appointed clubmakers to the Forfar Golf Club in 1904. J C Smith died in February 1907 at the age of 75.
It continued until around 1910 although R D Smith continued to make clubs under his own name until the 1930s.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2021 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland