Harold Cadwell was born in Churchtown, Lancashire, in 1889 and moved with his family to nearby Southport by 1901.
By the time of the 1911 census he had gone south to be an assistant professional at West Surrey GC to Fred Robson with whom he lived at Witley but later that year was back in the north west of England qualifying for the PGA Assistants' tournament sponsored by Perrier in the northern qualifying event but, at that time, without a club attachment.
He qualified again over the West Derby Links at Liverpool in 1913 at which time he was assistant to Peter McEwan at the Hesketh club in Southport. He played from Hesketh in the Northern Section of the £350 foursomes at Gosforth in April 1914.
In the early part of the First World War he played in charity matches to raise funds, e.g. for the Belgian Refugee Fund in Manchester in 1914, but later joined the 2nd Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.
His obituary in the Liverpool Daily Post in September 1918 notes that he had been runner-up in the Lancashire Championship. Lance-Corporal Cadwell died of his wounds in hospital in Rouen on 29 August 1918.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2014 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland