Hendry & Bishop
The company began as harness-makers and ironmongers in Leith around 1890 but turned to golf ball manufacture in the early years of the 20th century.
In 1911 they registered the bishop's mitre mark and began to produce iron clubs.
Innovative clubmakers, they are known for the Slog-em patent, a nut to tighten the connection between hosel and shaft; giant niblicks (Cardinal model); the Stopum backspin iron for Ben Sayers; an early type of sand wedge, the (Archie Compston niblick, named for the 1925 Open runner-up); and putters: the PerWhit with its cylindrical face, and the Viper and Sniper models, both with long thin hosels.
In 1921 a joint stock company was formed with £10000 capital, 3000 in preference shares and 7000 ordinary. Another company, presumably to separate activities, was set up as wholesale ironmongers with £7500 capital in 1925. Around the same time the old address of 26 West Port was smartened up as the Portisburgh Works. Controlled by the Bishop family they gave up their ownership was sold in 1929.
Most accounts, copying Pete Georgiady’s work, state the company went out of business at the outbreak of the Second World War but it was, in fact, not liquidated until 1957 at that time having a head office in Huddersfield.
Search the catalogue for clubs by this maker
site design dmc ltd | © 2000-2014 Antique Golf Clubs from Scotland